George Monk, the son of John Monk was born in Little Bolton in 1845, and spending his child hood in St Georges Road. He is listed as a Watchmaker, of Masonby Terrace, Chorley Old Road, Bolton.
George went into partnership with Egerton C Gilbert, watchmaker of Bradford Terrace, Halgh to form Monk & Gilbert who were working out of 8 Deansgate.
George had a number of brothers, including Frederick who was later listed as a Jewellers Assistant.
George is also known to have used the label Monk Brothers, Bolton, possibly a partnership with his brother Fredrick.