John Monk was born in Bolton in 1811. By 1834 John had a shop at 161 Deansgate and by 1841 he was working from Crown Street, before returning to 161 Deansgate after 1843.
John seems to have had a flair for complicated clocks and high class watches. John is recorded as making presentation pieces in Gothic Skeleton Clock style, one was presented to the Rev. F.R. Stubbs, M.A. of Harwood, another was to the Rev. Thomas Berry Rector of Christ Church Blackburn St Bolton. (Later Deane Road)
John also provided a home to apprentice watchmaker William Walker in St Georges Terrace Little Bolton, where he is listed in 1851.
A skeleton clock by J. Monk, Bolton, triple fusee, 8 bell anchor escapement, pierced 20 cm silvered chapter ring, Roman numerals, the elaborately pierced cathedral frame mounted on a bow-ended marble plinth with bun feet.
The presentation plaque inscribed ‘Presented to Rev. F.R. Stubbs, M.A. on the Occasion of His Resigning the Incumbency of Harwood As a Token of Sincere Love and Esteem and in Grateful Recognition of His Own and His Family’s Self-Denying Service For the Period of Fourteen Years, June 2nd, 1866’
(Rev. Jonathan Kirk Stubbs, was the vicar of Christ Church in Harwood from 1840 – 1844 and 1852 – 1866.)
The quality of John’s pocket watches is clearly evident form this example.
An 18ct. Gold watch by John Monk Bolton, case by Henry Howard Nicholson hallmarked London 1841, movement number 36169.
Another one of John’s Skeleton Clocks.
1860’s A London “Gothic” skeleton clock by J. Monk Bolton.
Brass scroll frame in a cathedral design mounted on an oval white marble base. Brass fretted chapter ring with Roman numerals. Blued steel hands. Fusee with chain, anchor escapement, bob pendulum with spring suspension. Signed on the frame below the dial.
A silver open face fusee pocket watch having a John Monk Bolton key wind fusee movement numbered 42153, white enamel dial with blued steel hand, subsidiary seconds dial, hallmarked Chester 1857