The S Greenough & Sons Company is said to have been formed in 1853, however Samuel was trading independently until at least 1874.
Whenever the company started the sons Alfonsa and George, followed Samuel’s lead and often made high quality watches, including Chronometers. They were noted suppliers to the Admiralty.
In 1891 an advertisement showed them as working at 45 Newport Street (Cheapside) in Bolton.
The business of George and Samuel Greenough in 1895.
S. Greenough & Sons entered their mark, ‘S.G&S’, contained within an oval punch, with the Chester Assay Office on the 9th April 1895.
S. Greenough & Sons entered their mark, ‘S.G&Sons’, incuse, with the London Assay Office on the 10th October 1895.
Grenough’s shop called “Public Clock” at number 45 was adorned with a clock that became a local landmark. The store remained as a Jewellers under the S Greenouch and Sons into the 1960’s
It later bore the name Redifusion, after a later occupier of the shop.
An S. Greenough & Sons, Admiralty Chronometer
Grenough’s shop called “Public Clock” at number 45 Newport Street (Cheapside), was adorned with a clock that became a local landmark, originally adorned with a ‘Bolton Elephant’. It later bore the name Redifusion, after a later occupier of the shop, and was finally lost when the block were refurbished in .
A new Acquisition of an exceptionally rare double sided Chronograph, sold by Samuel Greenough and Sons.
Movement – gilt ¾ plate movement has a lever escapement, 15 Jewels and a lever escapement. Positioned above the chronograph work is a dial plate with a white enamel dial. Within is the chronograph mechanism – start, stop, fly back and reset with a 30 minute register. The dial had a blue steel centre seconds hand and a register hand.
Case – the movement comes in a silver case, which has a snap on back and front bezel. The case is marked .800 and has a smooth plain finish.
Dial – the white enamel dial had a full set of blue steel hands
The watch has a mineral glass on the back and front
The watch is stem wound / pin set
The watch measures 49mm wide x 19mm deep and is awaiting restoration.
Advert for S. Greenough & Sons dated 1905