Jimmy Seddon Watch (1924)

The 1923 FA Cup Final was an association football match between Bolton Wanderers and West Ham United on 28 April 1923 at the original Wembley Stadium in London. The showpiece match of English football’s primary cup competition, the Football Association Challenge Cup (better known as the FA Cup), it was the first football match to be played at Wembley Stadium. King George V was in attendance to present the trophy to the winning team.

The pre-match overcrowding prompted discussion in the House of Commons and led to the introduction of safety measures for future finals. The match is often referred to as the “White Horse Final” and is commemorated by the White Horse Bridge at the new Wembley Stadium.

1923 F.A. CUP FINAL POCKET WATCH PRESENTED TO J.SEDDON. Made by Thos. Russell & Son of Liverpool full hunter gold plated pocket watch, in good condition and working order. The movement is fully signed and numbered 6411, unadjusted to 3 positions, Swiss Made. It has a gold plated Dennison case numbered 5684. The glass cover and second hand are missing. The back of the watch is engraved ‘Presented to J.Seddon commemorating Assoc Cup Final 28/4/23 Bolton 2 West Ham 0’.

James (Jimmy) Seddon (20 May 1895 – October 1971)

James Seddon was born in 1895 in Bolton. centre half Jimmy Seddon played schoolboy football in Bolton with Trinity FC. He was on the railway platform ready to board a train when he was invited to play for the Bolton Wanderers reserves, who were a man short. He accepted, and Wanderers signed Seddon as an amateur in 1912-13, his Football League debut coming against Middlesbrough in February 1914. He played another 6 matches during 1914-15 before the onset of The First World War forced the suspension of peacetime football in May 1915 and interrupted his career. A centre half who quickly became a regular and stalwart of the side. The First World War saw him enlist in the Army seeing action on the Western Front, during which time he contracted trench foot. He overcame this and returned to Bolton after the war, living in the Farnworth and Bolton areas. After the War he returned to Burnden Park in June 1919 and signed as a professional, despite his trenchfoot from his Army service. He later became the Bolton’s club captain replacing Joe Smith, winning the FA Cup with Bolton three times in 1923, 1926 and 1929. He retired in May 1932,He was part of the famous teams during the 1920’s when Bolton won the FA Cup in 1923, 2-0 against West Ham, the famous first Wembley final before an estimated 200,000 plus crowd.Then the 1926 final, 1-0 over Manchester City and the 1929 final, 2-0 against Portsmouth. He was captain of the side in the 1929 cup win. Seddon played over 375 games for the club with 5 goals. He also played for England on 6 occasions. Seddon made his England debut in May 1923 against France in Paris, and won three further caps that year, being recalled in February 1927 against Wales and in April 1929 when he played at Hampden Park against Scotland. He was also selected for The Football League in 1922 but was a non playing reserve. After retiring he coached in Holland before managing the Scarisbrick Hotel on Lord Street, Southport. James died in 1971 age 76 years.

1923 FA Cup Medal awarded to J Seddon.

The 1923 Bolton Team

See also the John Reid Smith Watch