Robert Hampson, trading as Hampson of Bolton was a clocking watchmaker from an established clockmaking family the Hampson’s of Chester and Wrexham.
Born in 1721 the son of Thomas Hampson of Wrexham.
He worked in Warrington and then Wigan as Robert Hampson of Standishgate, and then both towns of Bolton and Bury in the late 1780’s. He left Bolton to move to Manchester in 1797 where he partnered with Richard Thelwell in 1810.
Robert died in 1878.
Note: the records of Robert Hampson are very confused, and there is still a possibility that the Warrington and Wigan one is a different Robert, than the Bury and Bolton one.
At least one splendid clock by a “Hampson of Bolton” survives
A Cuban Mahogany Longcase Clock by Hampson of Bolton c.1780, the hood having a swan neck pediment with three bladed finials above a verre-eglomise* panel to the frieze and reeded pilasters, the brass face having a silvered dial with Roman and Arabic numerals, seconds dial and calendar dial to the centre, signed and engraved with a basket of flowers and leaf scrolls, 8-day movement striking on a bell, the case with concave and cushion moulding above a long door flanked by reeded pilasters, the panel with book-matched veneers, canted corners and on plinth base, 226cm high.
(* Verre églomisé is a French term referring to the process of applying both a design and gilding onto the rear face of glass to produce a mirror finish.)